Dec 12, 2023
In this Florida Writer Podcast, we welcome founder of Everyday by the Lake Laura Gariepy who shares with host Alison Nissen her strategies to be a successful freelance writer.
1. Have a clear understanding of your Why. Know the reason you wish to be a full-time freelancer.
2. Begin networking as early as possible. Continually build relationships in your genre—they aren’t competitors, they are collaborators.
3. Create a website to showcase your expertise and your writing skills.
4. Find guest blog posts to cast a wider net.
5. Don’t write for free for long. Your time is worth it. Start small and increase the price per word over time.
Laura Gariepy started writing about personal finance in early 2018 when she took a sabbatical from her career in human resources and launched a blog sharing her journey. She realized she could earn a location and schedule-independent living as a freelance writer, so she soon went all-in on self-employment. Laura loves to write about managing your money, navigating your career, and running a successful business. Her work has been featured in Fortune, USA Today, The New York Post, and many other publications. She has also earned an MBA and a Bachelor's degree in Psychology.
The Florida Writers Association strives to provide a professional atmosphere, a vast networking system, and valuable tools to help members succeed in their writing careers. Our motto of “Writers Helping Writers” is demonstrated by our volunteers in Florida and beyond.